The Sponca Palace is one of the most beautiful in Dubrovnik, which has preserved its original appearance from the Middle Ages. The main architect of the building is Paskoje Milicevic. The "Sponza" palace was built in 1516-1522 in the Gothic-Renaissance style. It takes its name from the place where it was built - here there was a tank for collecting rainwater (sponza). The large rectangular building hides a peaceful courtyard at its heart. The ornaments on the porch and the facade of the palace are the work of the Andrić brothers, craftsmen from Korčula.
The original idea was for the building to serve as the customs office of the Republic of Dubrovnik. During its long history, Sponza housed a number of government offices, such as the mint, the bank, the treasury and the armoury. During the great earthquake of 1667, the palace was not affected.
Not only economic activity, but also cultural activity developed in the "Sponza" palace. A select society of poets and writers gathered in the great hall on the first floor.