The Natural History Museum of the Petrified Forest was founded in 1994 on the island of Lesbos. It was created for the purpose of research, discovery, protection and preservation of the Petrified Forest of Lesbos - an internationally recognized natural monument. The museum is located next to the village of Sigri in the western part of Lesbos. The museum building is a large modern building with an area of 1600 square meters. The museum is under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Culture of Greece and is the first natural history museum founded by the Greek state. In 2001, the museum was awarded a distinction by Eurosite for the discovery and management of the Petrified Forest. The museum is one of the main members of the European network of nature parks. In 2004, it was included in the UNESCO List, and today it is one of the most attractive places for tourists on the island of Lesvos.